Wednesday 12 May 2010

National Gallery visit with Pat, and visit from four friends

Yesterday Mas was feeling a little less stiff and sore, so I did nor feel too guilty leaving him for the day.

I went off to Victoria station where I met Pat as arranged. We went into the National Gallery and saw an exhibition of Christen Købke's work; he is known as the Danish Master of Light, and I must confess I had never heard of him before, so it was interesting. We then spent more time looking at more of the pictures; we thought we should take one section at a time, and methodically look at everything over many visits, but I cannot think we would ever be that methodical.

Pat's favourite picture is Ophelia, but at the time I could not remember who painted it, but later remembered it was Sir John Everett Millais, one of the Pre-Raphaelites. http://www.tate.org.uk/ophelia

When we got tired, we left and walked through Leicester Square to the Stockpot and had lunch there. We had missed the lunch time rush, and got there before the theatre matinee people came in, and the staff were playing the radio. I heard a familiar tune which I like, but did not know what it was. Pat was astonished that I was familiar with it, and said it was a Rolling Stones number called 'Paint it black.'

Today Mas was feeling much better, we thought we might go swimming in the afternoon, but unexpectedly Margaret, John, Christiane and Eddie paid us a visit, and we spent the afternoon chatting. It was really nice to see them all, but I was sorry things were not a bit tidier!

Today is the first night of Pete's concert, so we were thinking of him; we will see it tomorrow though.

No comments: